Thursday, August 18, 2005

MADISON COUNTY, IOWA

There is more to Madison County in south central Iowa than the Bridges, made famous by Robert Waller's book, the Bridges of Madison County. I travelled across the entire county with my friend Hal Chase on many weekends last year; he was my guide and mentor due to his role as primary stockholder in Farmers and Merchants Bank in Winterset (the county seat).

I started working with Hal because of my own project on Iowa's county courthouses, of which Madison County's beautiful courthouse became my central theme for the exploration of the entire area. I have not to date done any portraits of the people but plan on beginning that phase next year.

What we discovered together has motivated me to display it in the public venue of my blog. It is by no means a complete visual assessment nor is it truly representative in this ouvre as to the underlying energy and mythos of Madison County. At least it is a broadening of perception and possibility.







PHOTO GALLERY MADISON COUNTY, IOWA 2004



A small sampling of possibility for the county's future based on what it has been in the past. The people have pride in their current place and time, influenced heavily by their past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Designed by Medrounds - Copyright © 2005 All Rights Reserved Michael Harker - Contact Me