Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I found out yesterday that I had a medical problem with my left eye occur during cataract surgery on March 6th. I had a Branch Retinal Artery Occlusion which is called a "mini stroke" in one of the small arteries in my central vision. I have lost almost all of my central vision and will never regain it, because part of the retina died from the loss of blood flow.

As a photographer, this means I must keep my vision in my right eye or loose my career. Fortunately, I am right eye dominant and still have peripheral vision in the left eye, allowing me to actually function at normal capacity. I just can't read or recognize faces with the left eye.

If you have never had your eyes examined by an ophthamologist, I highly recommend you do so. During the eleven and a half years I worked as an ophthalmic photographer I photographed hundreds of Branch Retina Artery Occlusions and so I know exactly what this sudden and irreversable condition looks like and what it means for the person experiencing it.

You might ask, how does a photographer deal with the emotional impact of the reality of it happening? In my case, I plan to continue working and hope I keep my sight in the right eye. I have to live with reduced vision in any circumstance, so I believe in looking ahead and keeping a positive and optimistic attitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Designed by Medrounds - Copyright © 2005 All Rights Reserved Michael Harker - Contact Me